Smaller living spaces definitely have their perks. Limited square footage typically means a lower mortgage payment and less maintenance. However, most residents of small homes or condos tend to agree that lack of storage space presents some issues.
Here are a few tips and tricks for making the most out of small spaces:
- Keep furniture away from the walls. While it may be your first instinct to push furniture against the walls to create more floor space, doing this can actually make the room look smaller. Floating furniture near the center of the room can add volume and make the space look airier.
- Add shelves to already-existing fixtures. Often, cabinets take up too much space for the amount of storage they actually provide. A simple solution? Add more shelving. For cookie sheets and pot lids, consider adding vertical dividers to your kitchen cabinets. To house toiletries, you can also add wire baskets inside bathroom cabinets.
- Invest in multi-use furniture. Furniture that serves more than one purpose is a huge space saver. Ottomans that serve as storage for blankets and linens are a great investment. Using a trunk with a flip-up lid for a coffee table can also provide additional storage.
- Utilize your wall space. In addition to hanging pots and pans on your kitchen wall, you can also add pegboard to organize all your kitchen gadgets. The same concept can be applied for jewelry. Use pegboard or wall hooks to hang necklaces and bracelets.
- Use stackable containers. Clear, plastic storage containers can provide space-saving organization for almost any room. Use them for seasonal clothing in your closet or for food items in your pantry.
For more small-space storage hacks, click here. Whether you are in the market for a condo or townhouse, or you’re looking for a cozy space to call your own, I am always here to advise you about the best loan for your home purchase. Call me today!Tags: Home Improvement